nintendo vs blu-ray

sorry to spam but im looking for wiired so he can make me an awesome sig

or anyone else that can make good sigs

Last edited:
NateTheGreat said:
I really haven't heard that Blu-ray is all that great. Sure, it has a lot of space, but there have been reviews of blu-ray players, which cost alone +$1000 and people are saying they can't play some of their regular or HD DVDs on them. They're also supposed to be rather buggy. Now the PS3 will be $600, so I'm guessing it's blu-ray player is rather mediocre.

Also, just because you have more space on a disc does not mean the graphics are going to be better. The graphics card, the CPU, RAM, and developer's devotion to the game is what makes the graphics nice. There were games for Xbox that looked worse than some Gamecube games and Gamecube discs had about half the storage capacity of Xbox discs.

Blu-ray, I predict, will go the same way the UMD has for the PSP. Movie companies are just not interested in the UMD format because it's so proprietary and the PSP isn't selling so well. HD DVD will probably succeed until the vast majority of people have HD TVs.

I felt inclined to register with the forum just to correct the mistakes in this post. First off, blu-ray is NOT proprietary. It was jointly developed by Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Dell, Apple, HP, the list keeps going. Second, current DVD players, including the Wii and Xbox360, are NOT HD DVD. HD DVD is a format competing with Blu Ray. The main difference is that Blu Ray, not surprisingly, uses blue-violet lasers instead of the normal red. The blue-violet laser can pick up finer detail on a disc, allowing more data to be stored on one disc. In addition, transfer rates of the Blu Ray are faster than HD DVD, which does mean that graphics could potentially be better. Think of HD DVD and Blu Ray as the Beta and VHS of our time. Keep in mind that VHS won even though Beta is better quality. Will that happen again? Who knows?

Oh, and just to address it specifically, Blu-Ray players do not play HD DVDs, though this compatability could someday be seen, assuming both Blu-Ray and HD DVDs are both around in the future.

Lastly, the movie companies are very interested in Blu-Ray, since more of the major ones have signed on to Blu-Ray, while Microsoft's HD DVD format does not have nearly the support. To wit, I have not seen HD DVDs in stores though I have seen Blu-Ray discs.

Having said all that, I currently have an Xbox360, a TV that only has 1080i (not the 1080p like HD DVD and Blu-Ray can put out), and I have a Wii preordered. I have no plans in the near future to buy a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player.

[QOUTE]HD DVD will probably succeed until the vast majority of people have HD TVs.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't really reply to this, though my previous post should imply what I'm about to write. HD DVDs are pointless if you don't have an HD TV, so why would HD DVD succeed over Blu-Ray? Also, Blu Ray has support from 7 of the 8 major movie studios...HD DVD 3. Basically, HD DVD is a failed concept that Microsoft is trying to push (the HD drive for Xbox360 being a good example of this) because it allows better copyright protection. Also, because a failure would make them look weak...and we all want that, don't we?

Viva la Blu-Ray!!

(Disclaimer: I own Sony stock.)

HD DVD will probably succeed until the vast majority of people have HD TVs.

Sorry, I didn't really reply to this, though my previous post should imply what I'm about to write. HD DVDs are pointless if you don't have an HD TV, so why would HD DVD succeed over Blu-Ray? Also, Blu Ray has support from 7 of the 8 major movie studios...HD DVD 3. Basically, HD DVD is a failed concept that Microsoft is trying to push (the HD drive for Xbox360 being a good example of this) because it allows better copyright protection. Also, because a failure would make them look weak...and we all want that, don't we?

Viva la Blu-Ray!!

(Disclaimer: I own Sony stock.)

It is true most of the major companies are opting for blue-ray howver blue-ray has its disadvantages too first of the discs initially, at least will be more costly to produce than HD DVD media. Also unlike DVD-HD, the Blu-ray spec did not include support for more advanced video compression codecs such as MPEG-4 AVC and Microsoft's VC-1, in addition to the MPEG-2 codec. The blueray disc will take much more time. Creating HD-DVD would be more cost-effective than creating blue-ray discs, and also bringing the cost down of a HD-dvd down to a DVD price would be much easier than producing tons of blue-ray discs.

jxb465 said:
I felt inclined to register with the forum just to correct the mistakes in this post. First off, blu-ray is NOT proprietary. It was jointly developed by Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Dell, Apple, HP, the list keeps going. Second, current DVD players, including the Wii and Xbox360, are NOT HD DVD. HD DVD is a format competing with Blu Ray. The main difference is that Blu Ray, not surprisingly, uses blue-violet lasers instead of the normal red. The blue-violet laser can pick up finer detail on a disc, allowing more data to be stored on one disc. In addition, transfer rates of the Blu Ray are faster than HD DVD, which does mean that graphics could potentially be better. Think of HD DVD and Blu Ray as the Beta and VHS of our time. Keep in mind that VHS won even though Beta is better quality. Will that happen again? Who knows?

Oh, and just to address it specifically, Blu-Ray players do not play HD DVDs, though this compatability could someday be seen, assuming both Blu-Ray and HD DVDs are both around in the future.

Lastly, the movie companies are very interested in Blu-Ray, since more of the major ones have signed on to Blu-Ray, while Microsoft's HD DVD format does not have nearly the support. To wit, I have not seen HD DVDs in stores though I have seen Blu-Ray discs.

Having said all that, I currently have an Xbox360, a TV that only has 1080i (not the 1080p like HD DVD and Blu-Ray can put out), and I have a Wii preordered. I have no plans in the near future to buy a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player.

jxb465 said:
[QOUTE]HD DVD will probably succeed until the vast majority of people have HD TVs.

Viva la Blu-Ray!!

(Disclaimer: I own Sony stock.)[/QUOTE]

Ah, I learned something...or multiple things today.:) Thanks for pointing out my mis-information. I really am not keeping up on either of these formats, so I should have done a bit more homework before posting. Now, I'm totally in support of Blu-ray! If Apple's behind it, I'm guessing it's good (yes, I am a Mac zealot). Now I'm guessing HD DVD will only succeed if it's price is quite a bit lower and it's quality is near that of Blu-ray, which it may be at first but will lose in the end. It's nice when people who really know what they're talking about come on here.

Now, to be honest, I'm sick of disc media in general. Some day, when the picture quality is better, I'd rather just download my movies, like from the iTunes Music store if they make available true HD movies for download. Discs get scratched and are still limited in space.

Oh, and just to point out something you said, the Wii will not have DVD playback. This personally doesn't bother me because Wii doesn't have true 5.1 dolby digital, so I wouldn't want to use it as a DVD player anyway.

Back