25 animes to watch before calling them all rubbish

DBloke

An ancient one, banner of over a thousand acunts
Staff member
May 30, 2006
Super Mancyland
Wii Online Code
8041-7231-3447-6164
Well here it is that list I mentioned a few times.
Credit to Napalmbrain and Monsteroids for helping with some of the ones I have not seen yet

Ill point out that there are a few on here that I don't really like, but there all the ones that people say are the ones that stand out from the rest , in calling them the ones that stand out they at least try to be different from the stand out ones.

Who is this list for?
Well really its for those that say things like this “there a bit lame” “there all rubbish” “there a bit childish”(ok some are) “what you mean like Pokemon”things along them lines.

Isnt this just kids stuff?
For the most part yes there are a lot of kids ones that you will see on TV in the afternoon, but there are also a few that you probably not want kids to see and for them I will put a (n) at the end of the title.

Do I have to watch them all?
Not really, but it will help if you want to see some that are good to some people and not the ones that are on Saturday morning.

Are they in order of preference?
Nope, I cant decide my self what's the best., I cant even decide on a top ten.

Ive seen ….......... and it was rubbish/why is that on there?
To tell you the truth there are a few on here that even I question “Why did I put it on?”, but this is a list of the ones that are talked about the most and highest ranked, but mostly it goes off the rank as there's some right crap that gets talked about a lot

What are they about?
Well Id suggest googling there name them, but I will give a short description in my own style with no spoilers

Dub or sub?
Hard to say as some wont be out over here, but I will note down if the dub is good with a (D), ok there are some people that are purists and will only ever watch it in its native language.

This list sucks you missed off …...........!
Did you stop and think before you typed that?
There are reasons why I left certain ones off this list.
I shall list why as there asked why there not included.

Well here we go ill start with series and add ones that nearly made the list as well as movies/ovas in a different post
For more info look on the following sites
http://www.crunchyroll.com/
http://www.youtube.com/
For deeper details on each one look on the wikipedia, but at your own risk as it may contain spoilers

Death Note (D)
Student finds deaths book.

R.O.D./Read or die TV
Origami gone mad

Minami-Ke (avoid the follow ups)
Sitcom Japan style.

Cowboy Bebop (D)
Bounty hunters in space.

Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex (D)(note there are films)
A sci-fi counter-terrorist group saving the day.

Sayonara Zetsubōu Sensei
Teacher rants about life only funny and with more despair.

Excel saga (D) (n only on episode 26)
Some thing that takes the mick out of every thing.

Gurren Lagann
Boy finds mystical drill that turns out to be the key to a mecha

Beck : Mongolian Chop Squad
Group of teenagers from a band.

Black Lagoon (D)(n)
Think of all them action films where stuff blows up and your there.

GTO/Great Teacher Onizuka (D)
Ex gang leader trys to become teacher.

Eden of the East
Girl meets naked boy in Washington and trouble follows.

Hajime no ippo(n)(Note I cant find a official trailer or English site)
School kid takes up boxing.

Elfen Lied (n)
A psychopathic mutant escapes from a research facility and develops a child-like split personality.

Nodame Cantabile (cant find anything on it so heres more info)
Comedy-drama about two music students.

Serial Experiments Lain
A girls cyber punk head trip via the means of the internet.

Planetes
Drama about people who clean up space junk (it's better than it sounds).

Azumanga daioh
Sit com Japan style.

Monster (n)
A doctor sets out across Germany to stop a serial killer he once saved.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Children with a very warped sense of self-worth are forced to pilot private military issued mechs to fight off extraterrestrial abominations.

Eureka Seven
Resistance Group fights Aliens with Air Surfing Robots and The Power of Love.

Shigurui (n)
Like those old samurai films, but more arty.

Kaiji (n)
Gambler gets one more hit

Denno Coil
What happens when augmented reality gets a bit to real.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (D)
A high school girl thats god forms a club to look for paranormal things.

(ive put the same list on my site with links I cant be arsed copying all that over here)

Last edited:
What, no Samurai Champloo?

Meh, Cowboy Bebop FTW

Next part of the list you will find it on.(and that will be done.................IN 201X)
Its good, but it drags on a bit (for me)

Not a bad list. It's not the list I'd make, but of the ones I've seen they're all pretty good choices (I've seen all of them except Gurren Lagann, Hajime no Ippo, Eureka Seven, Beck, and Kaiji- although I do intend to eventually get around to watching Kaiji).

By the way, Evangelion is not for kids either.

Wait till the ones I cant fully recommend(will be posted in this topic)
So far Seto no hannamone, Gintama, Samurai Champaloo, Bobobo bo bobobo and History's strongest disciple Kenichi are there so far
(I've seen all of them except[STRIKE] Gurren Lagann, Hajime no Ippo[/STRIKE], Eureka Seven, Beck, and Kaiji- although I do intend to eventually get around to watching Kaiji).

I recon the crossed out ones are not for you

A very good idea for a list. Perhaps someone should do the same for Wii games. ;P

At any rate, I don't watch much TV at all so I doubt I'll get around to checking these out, but I did want to say that if you want one that stands out, FLCL would be just that. I didn't like it at all and it's definitely not for kids, but it stands out >_< (Only 6 episodes long probably because nobody liked it except my friend)

A very good idea for a list. Perhaps someone should do the same for Wii games. ;P

At any rate, I don't watch much TV at all so I doubt I'll get around to checking these out, but I did want to say that if you want one that stands out, FLCL would be just that. I didn't like it at all and it's definitely not for kids, but it stands out >_< (Only 6 episodes long probably because nobody liked it except my friend)

FLCL is a series of OVAs
They will be covered along side films

ok, i'm going to pose one question and then back it up: why isn't Bleach on said list?
It has more depth then people think, it has some fun comedy moments to it, the action is top notch and its still going. if you put that shitty deathnote crap on the list then this definately deserves to be on the list.

C'mon Shad, I didn't complain about DBZ not being in there.

If you look at the list you'll notice that they all have a certain level of quality. And can be summed up in just a couple of seasons. Bleach and DBZ are great anime series but lack that certain quality the listed ones have and drag on to many seasons. But it's just the kind of anime they are.

the only problem with DBZ was how it took fifty episodes for them to blink at each other. otherwise i'd argue that it should be on the list as well

ok, i'm going to pose one question and then back it up: why isn't Bleach on said list?
It has more depth then people think, it has some fun comedy moments to it, the action is top notch and its still going. if you put that shitty deathnote crap on the list then this definately deserves to be on the list.

Because Bleach is the type of stuff im trying to avoid on the list as I would of put One Piece/Naruto on there as well.
Anyway Bleach and Dragonball Z are as bad as each other.
Its the same story line every time and there is no depth.

I refer you to the following things I put up in the first post.
This list sucks you missed off …...........!

Ive seen ….......... and it was rubbish/why is that on there?

And lastly

Who is this list for?

I am trying to avoid the generic stuff that has all the same things as all the rest

i know but i still like it, hade like 3 shirts of the show. and my mom threw them away
cuz she thought they were some of my old shirts. that SUCKS

Back