Wii to play DVD's?

Jesse

Protector of Hyrule
May 15, 2006
Sacred Realm
Wii Online Code
7219-3868-1848-6260
So much speculation and rumors going around, here's one for ya. Nintendo has a add-on attachment that will allow you to play DVD's?

Last edited:
Apparently I've heard that it can, not sure but would the insertion point for the mini discs fit a DVD or would it have to be an attachment?

I hear that the machine can play a DVD with the purchase of the attachment. You can insert the DVD directly into the machine.

Last edited:
Riviet said:
Ok... this is weird, a friend just told me that it CAN play things like CDs and DVDs. :confused:

lol riviet I'm just as confused as your are :confused:

Last edited:
Personally I would like to see the DVD player already in the machine but I understand that would only make the cost of the Console higher. Which is why you can purchase the attachment if you really want to play DVD's. It can also be a space saver if you don't want to have a bulky DVD player taking up your space.

Guess its all up to you the consumer.

Last edited:
The DVD capability may very well be built into the machine, which I believe was the case for the originial xbox -correct me if i'm wrong. Its really a matter of unlocking it with some attachment or card that you have to pay for (hopefully not a big ugly bulky attachment). You see, the DVD counsel or whatever they call themselves charge the manufacturer (and therefore you) a fee for selling a DVD or anything that plays DVDs, say 30 dollars or something for including DVD functionality. Price is important for nintendo so I can see why they'd only want you to have to pay that fee if you really want to use it as a DVD player. I hope it can at least play CDs out of the box, but then again who cares GIMME GAMES.

glassonion914 said:
The DVD capability may very well be built into the machine, which I believe was the case for the originial xbox -correct me if i'm wrong. Its really a matter of unlocking it with some attachment or card that you have to pay for (hopefully not a big ugly bulky attachment). You see, the DVD counsel or whatever they call themselves charge the manufacturer (and therefore you) a fee for selling a DVD or anything that plays DVDs, say 30 dollars or something for including DVD functionality. Price is important for nintendo so I can see why they'd only want you to have to pay that fee if you really want to use it as a DVD player. I hope it can at least play CDs out of the box, but then again who cares GIMME GAMES.

Yeah you are correct. It is "a matter of unlocking it with an attachment or that you have to pay for"<-- by glassonion. If you really want to play DVD's on your Wii then it wouldnt be a bad investment. I personally wont but I know plenty of ppl who will by the attachment.

Last edited:
From what I heard they found out how mad people got about the gamecube not being able to play DVD's that they have built in the option to play them on the wii.

What's the use of built-in DVD functionality if it doesn't have digital-out for surround sound? It won't be of use for me and it's not going to happen, since it has already been announced that it will only be possible with an add-on.

Back