Temperature

Hyacinthe

WiiChat Member
Jan 16, 2011
Utah
I had a quick question. I decided to try this community, because it seems this is one of the biggest I have seen, regarding the Wii system.

I was wondering if playing the console in temperatures of 50-60 degrees could cause any harm to the console... Like precipitation, or freeze any of the parts. Or if it could simply reduce the life of my console... Unfortunately, I do not have heaters in my house, and I can not afford to run space heaters all the time, to keep my console warm. I have had my console for roughly three months, with no ill effect as of yet, but again, was just wondering if this could cause ANY type of damage.

Thanks in advance for your answers, and comments, I greatly appreciate them. :p

this is the fourth winter my wii has seen, i don't leave my heaters on at night, and the wii hasn't faulted one bit. i wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you all for your replies. I know in the manual it says, do not expose to extreme heat or cold, but ones opinion on that, can differ from the one Nintendo is referring to. So I had to ask. I am aware electronics are better, the colder they are, but was just wondering if precipitation or something could build up. Its starting to warm back up, so it is no longer an issue. Thanks again for all of your replies, I appreciate it. Also, I am impressed by the quick response time of the community here.

I've never heard of storm clouds forming in someone's Wii, so precipitation shouldn't be a problem unless you leave it outside in the rain. Now, condensation would be a problem, but only if you were moving it from one extreme temperature to another in quick succession.

My apologies, I meant condensation... :p Anyways, generally my room goes from 50-60 degrees, to 70-80 degrees. When I get home I turn on my space heater to warm my room. Not sure if that would be considered an extreme temperature, because I stated before, ones extreme hot or cold temperature can be different from another's. Though I do not think a 20-30 degree temperature change would be considered an extreme temperature change, from cold to hot. The only way to know for sure is to crack my case open, and look for condensation. :p

Also, do you think connect 24 being on would make a difference in the temperature? Most of the time I leave it on, but I am changing things from the power strip I use, so sometimes I unplug my Wii for several days, as I do not play it very often.... So would it matter if connect 24 is on or off?

it's rare but wiiconnect24 is one more way a wii can break. only leave it on for something in particular.

it's rare but wiiconnect24 is one more way a wii can break. only leave it on for something in particular.

Now that's just being paranoid and silly. Besides, how would you know what to leave it on for. The whole point of the service is to allow updates and messages at any time.

While every manufactured object has its failure rates, and while a small (very small) percentage of units have had problems seemenly caused by Wiiconnect24, it is not a widespread problem. There is absolutely no need to start getting people nervous over nothing.

So, keep the connection active as Nintendo recommends to receive the most benefit from your console.

Hyacinthe said:
When I get home I turn on my space heater to warm my room. Not sure if that would be considered an extreme temperature, because I stated before, ones extreme hot or cold temperature can be different from another's. Though I do not think a 20-30 degree temperature change would be considered an extreme temperature change, from cold to hot.

I would only consider that change extreme if your Nintendo experienced them within minutes of each other. Gradual change from one temperature to another will not harm your system (unless the temperatures are beyond the tolerable limits).

Back