only 20,000 in Auz

Wycky

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2006
Australia
I was told yesterday at Games Wizards that Nintendo are only shipping 20,000 units to Australia. So if you havn't preordered theres a good chance you wont get one until mid - late Jan. when the 2nd shipment arrives

That sounds extremely wrong.

A while ago, I heard that they were going to be supplying enough for the pre-orders in Aus. Whether that's still true or not, I don't know.

US is getting 2 million and Canada is getting probably like 800k or something...
Japan is probably getting alot too since wii's origin/ nintendo's origin is In japan while in Europe... Its probably the rest :p

20,000 units sounds about right to me since the Gamecube only sold 100,000 units in Australia up to 2004.

Source Game on - ITNews - smh.com.au

We are a tiny part of the market down here so Nintendo is most likely playing the wait and see game to determine the demand for them in Oz. But don't fret, if you really want one order it from the U.K., it will be the same machine as we both use the PAL system. Don't worry about region locking as you can use U.K. Gamecube games on an Aussie Cube (had to import Dakar because I couldn't get it anywhere in OZ when it first came out) so the same should apply with the Wii.

Kosh1and2 said:
20,000 units sounds about right to me since the Gamecube only sold 100,000 units in Australia up to 2004.

i agree kosh1and2..... but i do think with the launch and christmas combined we may well see a shortage at some stage....

swii said:
i agree kosh1and2..... but i do think with the launch and christmas combined we may well see a shortage at some stage....

Yeah you could be right, but it only helps with the mystique, some people see SOLD OUT as 'wow this has to be the must have thing, damn I gotta get one' :)

Kosh1and2 said:
Yeah you could be right, but it only helps with the mystique, some people see SOLD OUT as 'wow this has to be the must have thing, damn I gotta get one' :)

but what if it sells out and they go oh well, gotta get them something, ill just get a 360 or ps2 instead.

i'm confused..so if you have pre-ordered in australia, are you guaranteed a wii on launch? Like i've pre-ordered with toys'r'us..AGEs ago when they were still offering the free game at launch thing. Will i be guaranteed a wii or will it be first in first served!

Same here, sir above me, and they said its a guarentee. But you cant trust them, they dont know what theyh are talking about.

Wycky said:
but what if it sells out and they go oh well, gotta get them something, ill just get a 360 or ps2 instead.

Good point.

i'm confused..so if you have pre-ordered in australia, are you guaranteed a wii on launch? Like i've pre-ordered with toys'r'us..AGEs ago when they were still offering the free game at launch thing. Will i be guaranteed a wii or will it be first in first served!

All pre orders are guaranteed so don't sweat it.

dentstude1 said:

Toys r us, called me last week to tell me my order is confirmed and ask me what free game I wanted to pick nfs or open season.
i said i wanted NFS and they said no worries we will put you a copy aside it will be ready for you on the 7th dec.
i was like awesome.
As far as i know as long as you pre ordered you got a wii

Edit*WOOO 50 posts!!

Last edited:
when i was on the phone to Myers, they told me they would be getting enough wii's for the pre orders.. mind you, this is Wii, and not gamecube.. the gamecube was almost not exciting at all, wii on the other hand - very.

Does oz use PAL!? I'm going there on holiday at christmas and wondering if I can pick up dvds/games there as they are cheaper..

BrandonMcAuslan said:
Does oz use PAL!? I'm going there on holiday at christmas and wondering if I can pick up dvds/games there as they are cheaper..

Yep
Wii are PAL down here, so buy as much as you can.

Back