I think my Wii is fried :(

whatisthis

WiiChat Member
Feb 4, 2008
Long story short, my Wii wasn't surge protected. When the power come back on, I heard a "pop" sound:yikes: . It's dead. :mad5: :mad5:

Does the warranty cover this kinda damage? Can I get it replaced by Nintendo?

awe... that sucks... i would call them. :yesnod:

you shouldn't tell them you suspect a surge because you really can't be sure... it could just cause you problems in getting help.

just say it quit working the other day, you ship it in and they may determine if it's a surge or maybe something else!

they should cover it, a $3000 60" plasma screen got surged you get around $1,000,000 or so for insurance so i'm guessing that the same concept should work and such

I learn from experience a way long time ago with a PC. I have my Wii in a UPS (battery backup). Tripplite $99 at Costco (1000 VA)

Protects against surge, lows and irregular voltage. And even has power stored if a power loss occurs.

Why people won't invest in even $20 of surge-suppression for their multi-hundred (or multi-thousand) dollars' worth of electronics equipment, I'll never understand.

My TV/satellite/DVD/receiver/Wii are plugged into a surge that was worth like $70+ or so at the time. My computer is on a APC Back-UPS 650.

Worked on a guy's computer tonight in fact, he had a surge protector but he was bypassing the 3rd prong on the power outlet with an adapter. :rolleyes: Computer is only 2 months old or so, lost the whole hard drive.

Remember Kiddies

Dont skimp out on proper surge protection for your valuable elctronics. All it takes is a small surge, and your done for. so please, I urge you all, Buy either a decent surge protector or a UPS.

This has been a friendly anouncement from brendo:lol:

sremick said:
Worked on a guy's computer tonight in fact, he had a surge protector but he was bypassing the 3rd prong on the power outlet with an adapter. :rolleyes: Computer is only 2 months old or so, lost the whole hard drive.

See, I was about to do that to my PC. There is a very good reason, as it eliminates the hum through your speakers at louder volumes, which is very noticable through higher quality speakers..... now you are telling me not to do it???

Dkw0101 said:
they should cover it, a $3000 60" plasma screen got surged you get around $1,000,000 or so for insurance
What insurance company is that? :lol: to my knowledge, they cover the bare essentials of your insured product. No way would they give you almost 1000x what you payed for.

sorry for being a noob but a sugre is just like more electricity going though it or something... i never heard of it before :sick:

LMAO.......theyd replace your plasma, or give you back equal money of what you initially paid for it.... Unless 1/2 your family was killed due to a fault with the TV that had nothing to do with the surge, then you could go to court and sue the company that made the TV for bad quality control, dangerous product etc..... THEN youd get millions (youd lose 1/2 ya family in the process, but give a little, take a little eh?)

Deanis said:
See, I was about to do that to my PC. There is a very good reason, as it eliminates the hum through your speakers at louder volumes, which is very noticable through higher quality speakers..... now you are telling me not to do it???
Absolutely not. Find the real problem, don't make things worse by bypassing the required ground. Ironic, since noise/hum is often a sign of a faulty ground.

Sounds like you might be getting crosstalk within the surge suppressor. I'd suggest getting a better surge suppressor, preferably one that isolates the outlets into banks/groups to avoid interference.

can you ebay/google me some? I have no idea what I'm looking at, I heard there are filters you can get too. But I seriously need something, the hum drives me nuts. (Does it on my bros PC too). I hear it is a bigger issue in Australia than it is in America? Different Hz or some crap....

Deanis said:
can you ebay/google me some? I have no idea what I'm looking at
Look at any of the Tripp Lite models with "Isobar" in the name. They're distinguished by the fact that they are metal and not plastic. Example models:

HTPOWERBAR10
HT10DBS
ISOBAR6DBS

Use PriceGrabber to find a vendor.

Back